For those in a rush:
- Sebastian Vettel started on pole position.
- Williams’ Valtteri Bottas started a fantastic 3rd, having taken advantage of the mixed qualifying session to secure his career-best qualifying result.
- Vettel kept the lead off the start; Lewis Hamilton, Nico Rosberg, Mark Webber, Fernando Alonso and Valtteri Bottas slotting in behind the German.
- Adrian Sutil and Valtteri Bottas came close during an attempted overtake, and Sutil spun 360 degrees at turn 4. He avoided both the barriers and the oncoming traffic, only for Pastor Maldonado to rear-end him at turn 10 – something the Venezuelan was given a drive-through penalty for.
- Felipe Massa began a charge through the field, to recover from his dismal qualifying session where he suffered his third heavy crash in two weeks. He overtook Pastor Maldonado in the final corner, then Jenson Button at turn 1, and began an intense battle with Adrian Sutil.
- Giedo van der Garde closed the door on Mark Webber when the Aussie went to lap the Caterham. The Dutchman spun and was subsequently handed a 10 second stop/go penalty for both ignoring blue flags and causing a collision.
- Several laps later, Nico Hulkenberg lapped the Caterham but made contact (like Hamilton and Kobayashi in Belgium, 2011), with Van der Garde and was forced to retire with a broken rear suspension. Van der Garde ended his race at turn 10 with a broken front wing.
- Paul di Resta lasted an incredible 57 laps on the prime tires, in a 70 lap race.
- Esteban Gutierrez exited the pits and slid sideways into the barriers at turn 1.
- Sebastian Vettel crossed the line to secure his, and Red Bull’s, first North American victory. The only track the team have not yet claimed a win at is the Circuit of the Americas in Texas.
- Fernando Alonso finished second, Lewis Hamilton third and Mark Webber fourth – who also grabbed the fastest lap.